Monday, June 1, 2020

Four Words

I've started to write this multiple times.  I've stopped and started, and found myself repeating much of what has already been said over the past week and 81 days.  I thought about including pictures of faces and events, but you can see those at other places.  To protect myself from slipping into "Captain Obvious" mode, I'm keeping this simple, without being simplistic or trite. 

It's been a tough spring.  It's been a terrible week.  It's been a horrific weekend.  We're all trying to figure how to respond to what is happening around us.  I'm sitting in my office alone again, having sheltered in place for 12 weeks, working at home for 8 of them.  I want to talk with someone maybe more today than at any time over the past 81 days.  What do we do?   What do I do?

Well, I start by reading and listening, and I'm doing a lot of that.  I started reading Uncle Tom's Cabin for the first time.  True confession, thought it was time.  I also thought it was time to begin reading Oscar Romero's book, The Violence of Love.  I read an article this morning calling out social media sites and corporations like Facebook and Nike stating; "They need to to more!"  Don't think I can abdicate my responsibility by pointing fingers at them, just too easy to do.

I saw a tweet last week by Katie Couric, who I'm sure meant well, asking for a statements from Presidents Obama and Bush to help us navigate this cultural moment.  I have a lot of respect for both of these men and the way they responded to crises during their times of presidency.  They both seem to be great husbands, fathers, and leaders.  But I don't know them, will never meet them, and if I can be candid with you, don't need to hear from them.  What I need to do isn't mandated from the White House or my Twitter feed.  Our government and social media can't, and won't provide the answer.

I've pivoted.  I can't look at this issue as purely a macro issue.  There is nothing I can do to change the world.  I'm changing my perspective, looking at this from the micro level; the ways this is affecting the community I live in, the people I know, and the place where I work.  To use a phrase I've said before, we observe what is happening globally, while we think and act locally.  So here is my response to you.  This is my response, mine to do.  Not the university's where I'm employed.  Not Student Development or the Office of Spiritual Development.  This is my response to you in four words; you matter to me.

If you were expecting more, that's it:  You matter to me.

Cynthia, you matter to me.  Charles, you matter to me.  Jackie, you matter to me.  Kimberly, you matter to me.  Lauren, Kwame, Allison, Kennedy and Eric; you matter to me. McKenzie, Emma, TK, Brian, Drea, Lily, Hannah, Shania, Janelle, Shemara, Tiara, Ari and Byshop.  You matter to me.  Somer, Ashley, Natalie, Zanna, Jordan, Brooke, Lance and Kaleb.  Miranda, Amir, Karina, Lizzy, Jonathan, Skylar, Keek, Katie, Cami, Jason, Kayla, Kelly, Jackson and Abi.  Sam, Nimmy, Weston, Phillip, Noelle, Rico, Justin, Kelli, Anna, CJ, Lamont, Rachel, Maya, Anna and Britney.  You know I had to stop somewhere, so please feel free to place your name here if it isn't already because you matter to me.

I want you to know, in the cultural moment we find ourselves in with all it's hashtags, one that we can't change or deflect, but must own as our moment, I want those I come in contact with today to know how much they matter to me.  And yes, I'm going to be intentional about telling my black and African American friends and neighbors.  I'll take on whatever criticism you throw my way because of that statement, I'm okay with it.  The little I will face won't compare to what others have faced this week, the last 40, 140, or 400 years, however you want to count them.

I can't worry about anyone else, this is mine to do.  The only thing I wish I could change, is I wish I could tell you in person how much you matter to me.  This is written looking forward to the day I can.  For now, it's time to get busy.  There are some things I need to do today.  And until we meet again, I want you to know this; you matter to me.  Oh, and we have work to do when we are back together this Fall.

Galatians 1:10"Am I now seeking human approval, or God's approval?  Or am I trying to please people?  If I were trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment